Zahav doin it and doin it and doin it well | Photo via NY Times
So in addition to everything else Zahav has won in the past year, it was just prominently featured in the New York Times Travel section's 36 Hours in Philadelphia piece, which came out last week. Zahav was their recommendation for dinner on Saturday night:
9) WHAT, NO CHICKEN SOUP?Not too shabby.
Housed in a blocky, freestanding building in Society Hill and decked out in the dun colors of Jerusalem stone, Zahav (237 St. James Place; 215-625-8800; www.zahavrestaurant.com) features Israeli recipes and a healthy dose of North African and Middle Eastern fare, too.
The ta'yim tasting menu is a good place to start for the uninitiated — first up is a bowl of creamy hummus and a large round of house-baked, earthy flat bread, followed by three small plates and then dessert ($36). The Sabra is flavorful grilled chicken served over fluffy couscous; the salad is a potpourri of eight small dishes that include spicy Moroccan carrots seasoned in cumin and chilies that make your mouth zing.
For the record, Zahav's previous awards and acknowledgments:
· Philadelphia Magazine - #1 Restaurant in the Philadelphia Region (May 2009 issue).
· Conde Naste Traveler - World's Top 50 New Restaurants 2009 (May issue).
· Travel + Leisure - Top 50 Best New U.S. Restaurants 2009 (May issue). Zahav is the only Philadelphia restaurant to make the list.
· James Beard Foundation – Michael Solomonov - finalist for "Rising Star Chef" (March, 2009)
· Food & Wine - Fried Cauliflower with Lebneh - 10 Best New Restaurant Dishes (December 2008)
· Esquire – Best New Restaurants 2008 (November 2008)
· Philadelphia Magazine – Best New Restaurant (August 2008)
· Bon Appetit - The Hot 10 – Summer Blockbuster Restaurant Openings (May 2008)
And that's not even counting the Inky's three-spot.
Quite a first year.
You can help Zahav celebrate at their one-year anniversary party this Wednesday at 8 pm with $5 all-you-can-eat hummus and $3 Goldstar beers.
36 Hours in Philadelphia [ New York Times ]
Zahav [ Official Site ]